Monday, February 8, 2016
Biranji is one type of Pulaos that my grandmother made using her pulao masala. As usual I add lots of vegetables in my pulao where I keep my rice : vegetables ratio 1:1. Please use your own proportion for making this Konkani Pulao.
Vegetable Pulao - South Canara Style
1 cup Basmati Rice
1 cup mixed vegetables
salt to taste
1 tbsp Pulao Masala
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 red chilies, halved
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1/2 cups chopped tomato
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp fresh coconut
1. Rinse and drain rice and set aside.
2. Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
2. Add cumin seeds and chilies. As they sizzle, add onion. Saute till onion is golden brown. Now add ginger-garlic paste. Saute for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes. Saute for 2 more minutes.
3. Add Pulao masala and saute for 30 seonds. Add drained rice. saute for 1 minute.
4. Add vegetables, warm water and salt.
5. Bring to boil. Lower the gas and cover and let it cook till done.
6. Drizzle ghee around the rice. Garnish with coconut.
1. Adjust your own vegetables:rice ratio based on your preference.