Sunday, January 17, 2016
I had some Shan Yakhni Pulao Masala. I decided to use it for making Prawns Yakhni Pulao. Here's what I did.
Prawns Yakhni Pulao
1 1/2 cup medium shrimp/prawns (About 25)
1 tsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp. Shan Yakhni Pulao Masala
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Boil for making stock
Peels of shrimp/Prawns
4 cups water
1 tbsp. shan Yakhni Pulao Masala
1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
You will also need
1 1/2 cup rice, preferably Basmati
1 cup green peas
1 potato, sliced and chopped
1 tbsp. oil
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp. minced cilantro
1. Rinse and drain Basmati rice. Set aside.
2. Peel prawns - do not discard the peels yet. Marinate the prawns with salt, turmeric powder, lemon juice, ginger garlic paste and Yakhni Pulao Masala
3. Place peels in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add water, Yakhni masala and ginger garlic paste , turmeric. Bring to boil. Simmer for 15 minutes. Pass through the sieve. Discard the peels, save the stock.
5. Add marinated prawns and peas, potatoes. Saute for 5 minutes.
6. Add prawns stock and water as needed. The prawn stock and water together should measure up to about 4 cups.
7. Bring to boil. Switch gas to low.
8. Cover and let it cook on a low flame.
9. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lemon wedges before serving.
1. Use good quality old Basmati rice.
2. Shan Masala has salt so do not add extra salt.
3. Vegetarian or Vegan Yakhni pulao can easily be made by substituting vegetable stock and using vegetables of your choice. While making vegetable stock, add the yakhni masala to get that authentic flavor and aroma.