Thursday, January 21, 2016
Mom makes two types of Oats Upma. Today's version is really simple. This is for those folks like me, who believe that Oats is good for health but find it too bland to eat it as is.
Oats Upma (1)
Oats Porridge with Indian Spices
1 cup oats
1 1/4 cup water
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafetida
1/4 cup minced onion
2 green chilies, slit or minced
1 spring curry leaves, torn
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. fresh coconut - scraped or pieces
1 tbsp. spicy sev
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering. Sauté till onion is soft.
2. Add oats and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste and water.
3. Keep on stirring till porridge like consistency is reached.
4. Switch gas to low. Cover and let it cook for 5 more minutes.
5. Switch off the gas.
6. Serve in an individual containers, topped with cilantro, coconut, sev and lemon wedges.
1. Increase or decrease the amount of green chilies per personal preference.