Monday, January 11, 2016
When in season, I always get artichokes. I like to pair them with black chickpeas or peas and make this simple stir fry.
Artichoke chi Bhaji
Artichoke Stir Fry with Malvani Spices
5 Artichokes, peeled and cut
3 tbsp. water
1/3 cup black chana sprouts
salt to taste
1 tsp jaggery
2 tsp oil
3-4 red chilies
A pinch of Asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
5-6 garlc slivers
1/3 cup minced onion
2 tbsp. coconut scraped + 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1. Pressure cook chopped artichoke adding 3 spoonfuls of water. Pressure cook chana sprouts adding adequate water.
2. Heat oil. Add the ingredients for tempering. Saute till garlic slivers change color and onion is soft.
3. Add cooked artichoke and chana sprouts, jaggery and salt.
4. Let it simmer till moisture is evaporated.
5. Garnish with coconut and black pepper powder mixture.
1. Remember that when you buy artichokes, you discard most of the outer rough layers and take only the inside bud as shown below.