Friday, July 3, 2015
Drumsticks leaves and flowers are devoured in Malvani/Konkani cuisine. When I got these precious leaves at our local Indian stores, I knew right away that I would make bhaaji and daangars.
Shevgyachya Paananche Daangar
Drumsticks leaves fritters
1/2 cup drumsticks leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 cup chickpea flour
2 tbsp. rice flour
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 green chili, minced
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp chili powder
Oil for shallow frying
1. Mix chopped leaves, chili and shallot.
2. Add flours, salt and dry spices. Mix.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste.
4. Add water as needed to make a thick batter.
5. Heat tawa. Pat small ball of dough. Drizzle oil as needed.
6. Flip and let it brown on both sides.
1. This is served as a side dish with daily meal.
2. Omit green chili if you don't care for biting into chili pieces.