Wednesday, July 29, 2015
During my cabbage marathon cooking, I thought of masala sanna khotte. These steamed dumpling is a variation of Masala Sanna Khotte(1).
Masala Sanna Khotte - 2
Spicy Steamed Dumpling
1/4 cup toor daal
1 cup rice
8-10 byadgi chilies, roasted in few drops of coconut oil
1/2 cup fresh coconut
You will also need
1/2 tsp asafetida
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 cup finely shredded cabbage
Coconut oil to grease the mold
1. Soak toor daal and rice overnight.
2. Next morning, grind to a smooth paste along with roasted chilies and coconut.
3. Cover and set aside for about 8 -10 hours.
4. Right before steaming the idlies, stir in asafetida and tamarind paste. Add shredded cabbage.
5. Adjust the batter consistency, adding more water as needed.
6. Grease idli mold with coconut oil. Pour the batter.
8. Serve hot with coconut oil. Serve as an accompaniment with your meal.
1. For most authentic flavor, use containers made with jackfruit leaves.
2. This idli is not as fluffy as the usual idli.