Monday, July 27, 2015
Idlies using kulith or horsegram is a traditional Konkani delicacy. It imparts a distinct flavor so it may be an acquired taste. For a truly authentic flavor, do use coconut oil for greasing the idli moulds and also serve these idlies hot off the steamer along with a drizzle of coconut oil.
1 cup urad daal
1/2 cup kulith sprout
2 cups rice
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
salt to taste
coconut oil as needed
1. Soak urad daal, kulith/horsegram and (rice+fenugreek seeds) separately.
2. Drain and grind to a smooth paste.
3. Cover aside to ferment for 7-8 hours. Add salt and mix.
4. Grease idli moulds with coconut oil or any oil of your choice - although coconut oil is preferred.
5. Pour a ladleful of batter.
6. Steam the idlies.
7. Serve with coconut oil and chutney of your choice.
1. Traditionally, kulith are soaked, drained and used. I use kulith sprouts for this recipe.