Indian Yam Fritters
1 chunk of suraN/Indian yam
2 cups water + 5 kokums or 1 tsp tamarind paste
1/2 tbsp. chili powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp. rice flour
1 tbsp. fine rawa/semolina
Oil for shallow frying
1. Peel yam carefully, discarding all the outer skin.
2. Cut into thick "fillets".
3. Soak them in kokum or tamarind water for 15 minutes. Drain.
6. Dredge each yam "fillet" in the rice flour + rawa mixture.
7. Place in a single layer on hot tawa.
9. Let it crisp up from both the sides.
10. Place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
1. Kokum or tamarind water soak is needed since suran/Indian yam generally results in a nasty itch to the throat. Kokum or tamarind takes care of this issue.