This idli was the inspiration for my Alphabet Idli and yet, it took so long to blog about it!
1/2 cup seviya/Shevya, crushed by hand
1/2 cup rawa
1/2 cup yogurt
Water as needed
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 curry leaves sprig, torn
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 green chili, minced
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1. Roast rawa and shevya separately without adding any oil.
2. Mix with yogurt and salt. Add water to adjust the consistency. It should have the consistency of the idli batter.
3. Stir in ginger, cilantro, chili and coconut.
4. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add all the tempering ingredients. Drizzle tempered oil over the batter.
5. Mix well. Grease idli molds. Just before steaming, add baking soda and mix well.
6. Pour a ladle ful of batter in the molds. Steam the idlies.
7. Serve with chutney of your choice.
1. Add baking soda to the batter just before steaming.