Sunday, June 21, 2015
A cousin of mine reminded me about this delicious curry from CKP community which goes by this quaint name - Lipte. This curry is on the thick side but feel free to add more water if you prefer more broth like consistency.
CKP styled Prawns Curry
1 lb. shrimp/prawns, deveined
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp. mild chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
Grind to paste
2" ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
2-3 green chilies, (More or less depending on taste)
2 tbsp. cilantro
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. oil
1 cup minced onion
1/2 cup minced tomatoes
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 tbsp. freshly scraped coconut (optional)
1. Clean, peel and devein prawns. Marinate them with salt, turmeric powder and ground paste. Set aside for at least 1/2 hour.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion and sauté till it's soft.
3. Add tomatoes. Sauté for 10 minutes till it's pulpy.
4. Add coriander powder, Garam masala and chili powder.
5. Fry for a minute. Add marinated prawns along with the marinade.
6. Add 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil.
7. Simmer till cooked and masala coats the prawns. Adjust for salt if needed.
8. Garnish with cilantro and coconut - if using
1. This curry should be on thick side where masala should thickly coat the prawns. However, you can adjust the consistency per your own preference.
2. Traditionally, more oil is used.