Wednesday, June 17, 2015
I made these simple bitter gourd fritters after tasting them in Mumbai.
Bitter gourd Fritters
3 small bitter gourd, scraped, deseeded, cut into 4-6 pieces, lengthwise
salt to taste
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafetida
1 tsp chili powder
Oil for frying
1. Scrape the peels and remove the seeds of the bitter gourds. Cut them into 4-5 pieces lengthwise.
2. Apply salt and set aside. Drain the bitter gourd slices after 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil for frying.
4. Mix rice flour with spices. Add water to make a thick batter. Adjust salt - remember that you had applied salt to the bitter gourd pieces.
5. Dip each bitter gourd piece into the batter to coat it uniformly. Shake off any excess.
6. Place into hot oil. Fry till crispy on both sides.
7. Place on a kitchen napkin to remove excess oil.
1. Add more or less chili powder depending on your preference.