Monday, May 11, 2015
My mom-in-law uses vaal daal to make a dry and wet version. This daal does not require too much soaking. So it comes handy when I want to make something in a hurry.
Vaal ni Rasawali Daal
Field Beans Daal Curry
1 cup Vaal daal, soaked for 1 - 2 hours
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp. tamarind pulp
1 tbsp. jaggery
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander cumin powder
1 tomato, roughly chopped
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp ajmo/owa/carom seeds
1 tbsp. ginger-green chili paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 curry leaves sprigs
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1. Soak vaal daal for an hour or two.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add spices for tempering. As they splutter, add drained vaal daal. Saute for 30 seconds, add 1 cup water.
3. Bring to boil. Switch gas to low. Add tomato, chili powder, tamarind, jaggery, salt and coriander-cumin powder.
4. Let it simmer till vaal daal is cooked. Add more water if needed.
5. Garnish with cilantro.
1. Adjust jaggery per personal preference.
2. Do not let the daal turn into a mush.
Check out my dry version of the same daal - Surti laal Vaal ni daal