Tuesday, May 19, 2015
It's true that Tofu is considered as a blank canvas. You can add any flavors of your choice. I decided to make the vegan friendly version of burji by crumpling tofu into the usual burji recipe.
1 block Tofu
salt to taste
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
1/4 cup cilantro
1. Place the block of tofu on a folded paper napkin. Place another napkin on top and place some heavy weight like mortar and pestle on top to drain excess water. Keep aside for 1/2 hour
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add cumin powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste. Fry for 1 minute.
3. Add onions. Sauté till onion is golden brown. Stir in tomatoes. Sauté till they are pulpy.
4. Add garam masala, chili powder and salt. Add 1/4 cup water.
5. Now add crumbled tofu and cilantro.
6. Simmer till the flavors are absorbed by crumbled tofu.
1. You may need a tad more salt and garam masala than usual since tofu is very bland. Taste and adjust as you go.