Sunday, May 17, 2015
Today I am featuring Salmon curry using Maharashtrian - more specifically, CKP style spices. Serve with chapatti or plain rice.
2 Salmon fillets, cubed
5 baby potatoes, scrubbed and halved
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tsp. red chili powder
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp. tamarind pulp
2 green chilies, slit
Grind to a fine paste
4-5 garlic cloves
3-4 green chilies
1/3 cup cilantro
2 tsp oil
2 tbsp. minced onion
1. Marinade salmon & potatoes with turmeric powder, salt and ground paste. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion. Sauté till onion is golden brown.
3. Add marinated salmon and potato pieces.
4. Add tamarind pulp, chili powder, coriander powder and 1/4 cup water.
5. Cook for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and slit green chilies - if using.
6. Simmer for few minutes.
1. Rawas (Indian Salmon) steaks can be used. But adjust masala depending on the size of the steaks.
2. You can also add whole smashed garlic cloves, along with onion in tempering.
3. Instead of coconut milk, you can also grind coconut coarsely and add to the curry if you prefer coarse texture for your curry. In that case, add less water, and serve as a dry dish.