I decided to give my own spin to this popular Chinese restaurant take-out food.
Shrimp with Broccoli
20 medium shrimp
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder (Optional)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp. black pepper powder
1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
Whisk for sauce
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 tsp. chili garlic paste
few drops of toasted sesame oil
1/2 tbsp. sugar (optional)
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. corn starch
1/2 cup water
A handful of broccoli florets
1 bell pepper
1 spring onion, chopped, reserve greens for garnish
1 tbsp. peanut oil
1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
2 red chilies
1. Marinate shrimp with turmeric powder -if using, salt, black pepper powder and ginger garlic paste.
2. Whisk all the ingredients for sauce and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Add red chilies and ginger garlic paste. Stir fry for30 seconds
4. Add broccoli, red bell pepper and white parts of spring onion. Stir fry for 1 minute.
5. Add shrimp along with marinade. Sauté for 3 minutes.
6. Add whisked sauce. Adjust for salt.
7. Cook till done.
8. Garnish with green parts of spring onions.
9. Serve with noodles, fried or plain rice.
1. You can fry shrimp separately before adding to the vegetable mixture. I save some oil by choosing not to do it.