If you are a paneer lover, you will surely enjoy this combo. If you like chaats (seriously, who doesn't?), drizzle some green and tamarind chutney over chhole. You won't regret it.
Garbanzo Beans Curry with Indian Cheese
1 1/2 cup Garbanzo beans, soak overnight
1/2 cup paneer cubes
1 tbsp. Chhole Masala
1 tsp chili powder
Salt to taste
Grind to a smooth paste
1 1/2 cup roughly chopped onion
3-4 cloves garlic
2-3 kashmiri chilies, soaked in water, till plump
1" ginger, peeled & chopped
1 tomato, roughly chopped
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1. Pressure cook soaked chikpeas adding adequate water. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
3. Add finely chopped onion. Sauté till soft. Add tomatoes. Sauté till pulpy.
4. Add ground paste. Sauté for 20 minutes.
6. Now add cooked chickpeas. Add 1 cup water.
6. Add salt, chili powder and Punjabi Garam Masala. Add paneer pieces
7. Simmer for about 15 minutes or till the desired consistency is achieved.
8. Serve with paratha or roti with lemon wedges.
1. I do not fry paneer pieces adding to the gravy. If you like richer taste, deep or shallow fry paneer chunks.