Monday, April 27, 2015
adding quinoa, adding 17 beans instead of just regular daals or using green peas daal and so on. The other day, I had a chunk of cabbage in the fridge. So I decided to make mixed daal appes with cabbage as a snack turned meal.
Cabbage & Daal fritters
3/4 cup urad daal
1/4 cup moong daal
1/4 cup chana daal
1/4 cup rice
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds/methi
2 tbsp. pohe - rinsed
finely shredded cabbage - about 1 cup
2-3 green chilies, minced (optional)
2 tbsp. minced cilantro
salt as needed
1/2 tsp asafetida
1. Soak all the daals and rice with adequate water for about 6 hours.
2. Drain and grind, adding rinsed pohe to a smooth batter.
3. Cover and keep aside for 2 hours.
4. Stir in salt, cabbage, cilantro, asafetida and chilies - if using.
5. Heat appe pan/patra/kayili. Add a few drops of oil in each cavity.
6. Pour a spoonful of batter.
8. Drizzle more oil as needed.
9. Flip and cover on the other side.
10. Serve hot with chutney of your choice.
1. Any vegetable of your choice can be added - such as shredded carrots/radish/zucchini/spinach etc.