I made this delicious Konkani style upkari with tender beets that I found in our farmers market.
Stir Fried Beet roots
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
1/4 tsp asafetida
5-7 curry leaves
2 byadgi chilies, halved
4-5 cloves garlic, slivered
1 tbsp coconut
1. Rinse beets thoroughly. Pressure cook. Peel and dice
2. Heat oil - preferably coconut oil in a saucepan.
3. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
4. As they sizzle, and garlic changes color to a shade darker, add beetroot pieces.
5. Sauté well. Add salt to taste.
6. Garnish with freshly scraped coconut.
7. Serve as a side dish with your daily meal.
1. You can omit garlic.
2. If the beetroots have tender greens, wash and shred them and add them in the tempering before adding beetroots. Do not pressure cook the greens.