Wednesday, April 1, 2015
Spring is finally here. Tender asparagus are in season these days. So I keep playing around with them. Today, I gave Asparagus a Punjabi makeover.
Asparagus with Indian Cottage Cheese
1 bunch Asparagus, remove bottom ends, cut into 2" pieces
1/2 cup paneer, cut into strips
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into strips
salt to taste
1 tsp Punjabi Garam Masala
1 tsp coriander cumin powder
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1. Rinse asparagus. Cut off the tail end till it's no longer rough. Cut the remaining asparagus into about 2" strips. Peel potato and cut them into matchsticks. Cut paneer into matchsticks.
2. Heat oil in heavy bottomed saucepan. Add spices. As they splutter, add ginger garlic paste. Stir for 1 minute.
3. Add onion and sauté till soft. Now add tomato paste. Sauté for about 10 minutes.
4. Add asparagus and potatoes. Mix well. Add 1/2 cup water. Let it cook.
5. Add salt to taste, Punjabi garam masala and coriander cumin powder.
6. Add more water depending on the desired consistency.
7. Add paneer strips.
8. Let the water evaporate if thick gravy is desired.
9. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving. Also serve with a wedge of fresh lemon.
1. You can grind onion, tomato, ginger and garlic to a fine paste before adding to the gravy.
2. For vegan version, skip paneer.