Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Garbanzo Beans with Pickling Spices
1 1/2 cup Garbanzo beans, soak overnight
2 medium potatoes
1 tbsp. Pickle Masala
A generous pinch of Punjabi Garam Masala or to taste
Salt to taste
Grind to a smooth paste
1 1/2 cup roughly chopped onion
3-4 cloves garlic
2-3 kashmiri chilies, soaked in water, till plump
1" ginger, peeled & chopped
1 tomato, roughly chopped
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. minced cilantro
1. Pressure cook soaked chickpeas & potatoes adding adequate water. Set aside. Peel potatoes and cut them into chunks.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
3. Add finely chopped onion. Sauté till soft. Add tomatoes. Sauté till pulpy.
4. Add ground paste. Sauté for 20 minutes.
6. Now add cooked chickpeas. Add 1 cup water.
7. Add salt, chili powder, Pickle Masala and Punjabi Garam Masala.
8. Simmer for about 15 minutes or till the desired consistency is achieved.
9. Serve with toasted bread.
1. Taste your pickle masala. It may already have salt. Adjust your salt accordingly.