Monday, March 9, 2015
3 round eggplants - chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 red, firm tomatoes, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp Gujarati Garam Masala
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp dhana jiru /coriander-cumin powder
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafetida
1 tsp ginger-green chili paste/Watela aadu-marcha
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Cut eggplants and potatoes and soak them in water till ready to use. This will prevent discoloration.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add spices and green chili-ginger paste. Sauté for a minute.
3. Add onion. Sauté till soft.
4. Add drained eggplants, tomatoes, potatoes. Sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Add chili powder, coriander-cumin powder and garam masala. Mix.
6. Add 3 cups water. Cover and let it cook on medium flame.
7. Add salt and sugar to taste.
8. Adjust water per desired gravy consistency.
9. Serve with thepla/rotla or khichdi.
1. Generally, In Gujarati households, ginger-green chili paste is made every other day and kept in the fridge.