This is a unique wet chutney with daal. If you think it's too raw for your taste buds, use coconut along with chana daal or substitute puffed chana daal.
Chana Daal Chutney
1/2 cup chana daal, soaked for 2 hours
3-4 red or green chilies
1 cup cilantro
1 tbsp. tamarind paste
salt to taste
1 tsp. oil
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. asafetida
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1. Soak chana daal in adequate water for at least 2 hours, not more than 4 hours.
2. Grind drained daal with chilies, cilantro, tamarind paste and salt.
3. Heat oil in a small container. Splutter spices and curry leaves.
4. Drizzle tempered oil over the chutney.
1. This chutney may require acquired taste buds. If you think, it may be too raw for your taste, add coconut along with chana daal or use puffed chana daal. If using puffed chana daal, there is no need to soak.