Monday, March 23, 2015
Traditionally coconut oil is used in GSB kitchens. Later due to health concerns, it was curbed to bare minimum usage. Once scorned for saturated fat issues, now coconut oil is making an impressive comeback. Personally speaking, I use several different oils in my daily cooking and I use oil sparingly anyways.
Today's dish is Kerala style cabbage stir fry - using coconut oil.
Cabbage Stir Fry
1 medium cabbage, cored and shredded
salt to taste
1 tbsp. oil - preferably coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 springs curry leaves
1 tbsp. grated ginger
1/4 cup fresh coconut
1. Shred cabbage thinly. Set aside.
2. Heat oil. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. Add cabbage. Mix.
4. Cover and let it cook on low flame.
5. Add salt to taste
6. Garnish with freshly scraped coconut.
1. For authentic flavor, use coconut oil.