Sunday, February 15, 2015
Jeera-Miri (Cumin Seeds & Black Peppercorns) make a wonderful combo and its coconut based cold curry is devoured in Konkani families called "Jeer-Mirya" Kadhi. The same combo flavors the usual idli batter with a hint of coconut oil. The result is "Jeer-Mirya Idli".
Do serve with coconut oil for the authentic flavor. Drizzle, Drop or smear - you decide!
Cumin Peppercorn steamed dumpling
1 recipe idli batter
Roast and pound coarsely
1 tsp. cumin seeds
10-12 black pepper corn
Coconut oil for greasing idli moulds
1. Prepare Idli batter as described here.
2. Roast cumin seeds and black peppercorns separately. Pound them to a coarse powder.
3. Stir in the powder in the idli batter.
4. Grease the idli mould using coconut oil.
5. Prepare idli by steaming.
6. Serve hot idlies with chutney of your choice and coconut oil on side.
1. Do not powder cumin seeds/peppercorns too finely.
2. Any oil of your choice can be used for greasing, however coconut oil gives the authentic flavor.