3 Indian mackerels, cleaned,
salt to taste
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tbsp. garlic paste
1 tbsp. kokum AgoL (Kokam pulp)
Grind to a smooth paste
1/2 cup freshly scraped coconut
10 red chilies, roasted lightly
1 tsp. coriander seeds, roasted lightly
1/2 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. minced onion
1. Clean and rinse mackerels.
2. Marinate with salt, turmeric powder, garlic paste and kokum agoL.
3. Grind coconut, chilies and coriander seeds to a smooth paste, adding water as necessary.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan. Sauté onion till soft.
5. Place marinated mackerels in a single layer.
6. Pour ground coconut paste. Add water.
7. Bring to boil. Adjust for salt.
8. Simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Serve with plain rice.
1. If AgoL is not available, use kokum. If Kokum is not available, use tamarind.
2. This curry has thin consistency. Adjust water according to your preference.
3. This curry should be hot and sour.