Navalkol - Chana Daal
Kohlrabi with Chana Daal
2 cups chopped, peeled Kohlrabi/Navalkol/Alkol
3 tbsp. chana daal, soaked for at least 2-3 hours
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 green chilies, slit
1 red chili, halved
1 tbsp. freshly scraped coconut
1. Soak chana daal in water for at least 2-3 hours.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan/kadhai.
3. Add spices and chilies.
4. Add drained chana daal along with 1 tbsp. water. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes.
6. Now, add kohlrabi. Cover the saucepan with a lid. Add some water to the lid. Let it cook
7. After it's cooked, add salt to taste.
8. Garnish with coconut
1. If you like the flavor, use coconut oil for tempering.