Monday, December 8, 2014
This restaurant classic is actually quite simple and quick. Once all the vegetables are cut, this dish is created in a jiffy.
Vegetables and Paneer Jhal Frazie
Vegetables and Indian Cottage Cheese Stir Fry
1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced purple onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced baby corn (optional)
1 cup thinly sliced firm & deseeded tomato
1 cup thinly sliced paneer/Indian cottage cheese
A generous pinch of garam masala
1 tbsp. coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tbsp. white vinegar
salt to taste
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 red chilies
A pinch of asafeotida
1/2 tbsp. ginger, minced
1. Heat oil in a wok. Add tempering ingredients.
2. As they sizzle, add onions. Saute till soft.
3. Add bell peppers, tomatoes, baby corn - if using and powders.
4. Stir fry till they are barely cooked. Make sure that they are not overcooked.
5. Add paneer pieces, vinegar and salt.
6. Stir fry and serve immediately.
1. I do not deep or shallow fry paneer pieces before adding to the vegetables to save extra oil. Please go ahead if that's what you prefer.