Many moons ago, when Jiggs Karla used to write a column in Times of India, I used to clip all the recipes diligently. Since this recipe has "whole spices" and does not involve too much grinding and processing, it was very handy during my initial years in the United States (especially when we roommates didn't bother to invest in a blender!)
This recipe has probably evolved since those days.
Khade Masalewali Murgi
Chicken with Whole Spices
1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
1 medium tomato, grated
1 big onion, peeled & grated
salt to taste
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. mild chili powder like paprika or Kashmiri chili powder
1/2 cup whisked yogurt
1/2 tbsp. ghee
1/2 tbsp. oil
3 green cardamoms
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. shahjira
5-7 black peppercorn
1" piece of cinnamon
2 green chilies, chopped or sliced
A generous pinch of Garam masala
1. Marinate chicken with ginger-garlic paste. Cover and set aside,
2. Heat ghee and oil mixture in a pressure cooker.
3. Add whole spices one after the other.
4. Add marinated chicken. Sear for 5 minutes till it gets golden brown.
5. Add paprika, onions and tomatoes. Sauté for 10 minutes.
6. Add 2 cups water. Bring to boil. Add yogurt.
7. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
8. Add green chilies, Garam masala and salt.
9. Simmer for 10 minutes.
1. Instead of using yogurt, you could also use coconut milk. But in that case, add it after pressure cooking.
2. Adjust consistency of this gravy based on the personal preference. I prefer it on the thicker side.