Friday, December 5, 2014
I threw some potatoes and bell peppers together and sautéed them using typical Punjabi spices. This simple stir fry tastes delicious with chapatis.
Alu Simla Mirch
Potatoes with Bell Peppers
4-5 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
salt to taste
1/2 tsp. amchoor powder
1/2 tsp. chaat masala
1 1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/4 tsp. asafetida
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tbsp. coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tsp. Garam masala
1 tsp. Kashmiri chili powder
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tbsp. fresh mint, minced
1. Chop vegetables and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a nonstick kadhai. Add spices. As they sizzle add onion. Sauté till it's soft.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add masala powders and cilantro. Sauté for a minute.
4. Add potatoes. Fry for 5 minutes. Add bell peppers. Let it cook, stirring from time to time.
5. Add amchoor powder, salt and chaat masala.
6. Garnish with freshly chopped mint.
1. Add paav-bhaaji masala instead of garam masala for an extra kick!