Friday, November 14, 2014
I substitute cooked quinoa for making many South India inspired fried rice recipes. Raw Mango Rice is made in South Indian kitchens by tempering rice with spices, curry leaves, raw peanuts and raw mango. Cooked quinoa tastes equally delicious. I have used rainbow quinoa here for variety, but even usual quinoa works just fine.
Raw Mango Quinoa
2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled completely
1 cup grated raw mango
salt to taste
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
2-3 red chilies, halved
1 tsp. chana daal
1 tsp. urad daal
1/4 tsp. asafetida
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tbsp. raw peanuts
2 tbsp. minced cilantro
1. Heat oil in a wok. Add spices, daals, curry leaves and peanuts.
2. As they splutter, and peanuts appear crispy, add grated raw mango. Stir fry for a minute.
3. Add cooked quinoa, salt to taste.
4. Mix well. Cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Serve warm, garnished with cilantro.
1. Use raw mango from the Indian stores. Green mangoes available at American super markets do not have the required tartness and firmness.
Cooked Rainbow Quinoa