Goan Pomfret Curry
1 medium pomfret, cut into 5-6 pieces
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp lemon juice
Grind to a fine paste
3/4 cup Freshly scraped coconut
5 Kashmiri Chilies
3 byadgi chilies, roasted
1/2 tsp cumin seeds, roasted
1/2 tbsp. coriander seeds, roasted
4-5 black pepper,roasted
2-3 cloves garlic or 1 tsp garlic paste
2 tbsp. chopped onion, fried in few drops of oil
1 tsp tamarind paste
1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
2 tbsp. chopped onion
1. Clean and marinate the pomfret steaks with lemon juice, salt and turmeric powder. Set aside.
2. Roast whole spices. Fry chopped onion in few drops of oil. Grind all the ingredients from coconut to tamarind, using adequate water. The paste should be very fine.
3. Add oil - preferably coconut oil to a saucepan. For authentic flavor, use an earthenware pot - which we call langdi/लंगडी .
4. Sauté onion till golden brown.
5. Add finely ground coconut masala paste and 1/2 cup water.
6. Place marinated pomfret pieces. Adjust water based on the desired consistency.
7. Bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Switch off the gas.
10. Serve with plain rice.
1. Adjust chilies per your own preference.
2. If you want to make this curry in a hurry, mix paprika, chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, tamarind pulp and garlic paste. Stir in a can of coconut milk. After frying onions, add this mixture and add pomfret pieces.
3. Kashmiri chilies are used for color.