I have shallow fried these "fritters" but feel free to deep fry them if you prefer.
Sujatha's Vazhaipoo Vadai
Banana Blossom Fritters
1 cup Chanda daal, soaked for 6 hours
Grind drained daal with
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafetida
2-3 green chilies
1/2" ginger, peeled
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
1 can banana blossom, rinsed, drained, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 green chilies, minced (optional)
salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Soak chana daal in adequate water for 6 hours.
2. Drain and grind coarsely with turmeric powder, asafetida, chilies, ginger, cumin seeds, coriander seeds. Do not add any water for grinding.
3. Stir in salt, chopped vegetables and herbs. Mix well.
5. Spread on the pan or deep fry flattened fritters.
1. If you like heat, add minced green chilies in the batter. Otherwise, just omit the green chilies.