Saturday, November 29, 2014
Though I am familiar with Bamboo as Vasota (Marathi) or Kirlu (Konkani), I didn't know that my Gujarati family knows about it too. This is called "Baans" in Gujarati which I thought was very poetic. You see, after all, baans makes "baansuri"/Flute.
Baans Nu Athanu
Bamboo Shoots Pickle
1 can Bamboo Shoots (By weight 20 oz., drained 10 oz.)
1/2 cup Gujarati Sambhar Powder/Instant Pickle Mix
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. asafetida
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1. Drain and rinse the bamboo shoots.
2. Air dry the shoots. Chop them to small pieces.
3. Put chopped shoots in a glass or ceramic bowl.
5. Mix well and set aside.
7. Pour the cooled oil over the bamboo shoots mixture.
8. Mix well. Adjust salt and lemon juice if required.
9. This pickle can be eaten immediately. But refrigerate any unused pickle.
1. Do not confuse Gujarati Sambhar Powder with South Indian Sambar powder. Gujarati Sambhar powder is instant pickle mix. You can use readymade pickle masala by Bedekar or K-Pra.
2. Check the salt content of the pickle masala and adjust salt only if needed.
3. Remember that when you make pickle, never add hot tempered oil. It has to cool down completely before adding to the pickle.
4. Refrigerate any unused pickle and use within 2 weeks.