I made this simple vegetable stir fry and decided to call it "Paneer Tawa". I had some puffed lotus seeds - which are known as "Fool Makhna" in Northern India. They created quite a buzz in Gudiya's world and she couldn't stop popping them one after the other as if they were popcorn.
Indian Cottage Cheese Stir Fry
1 1/2 cup diced paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese
1 1/2 cup diced Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled
1/2 cup Fool Makhna or puffed lotus seeds
1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
1 orange bell pepper, cored and diced
1 firm tomato, diced
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp paprika or Kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp amchoor powder
1/2 tsp chaat masala
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tbsp. ghee/clarified butter
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp owa/ajmo/ajwain seeds
A pinch of asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 red onion, minced
2 tbsp. oil
1. Heat a nonstick pan. Dry roast puffed lotus seeds. Set aside.
4. Heat oil and ghee in the nonstick pan. Add the spices for tempering. As they crackle, add onion and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté till onion turns soft.
5. Add bell peppers, cilantro and tomatoes. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
6. Add the spice powders and stir fry for 2 minutes.
7. Add fried paneer, potato pieces and roasted lotus seeds
8. Add salt to taste.
1. Do not overcook. Bell peppers should still be little crunchy and not mushy.