Garbanzo Beans with Fenugreek Leaves
1 cup dry Garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
1 small piece of cinnamon
5 black peppercorns
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp. coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp Chhole Masala
1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder or any mild chili powder for color such as Paprika
1 1/2 cup chopped fresh methi/fenugreek leaves
salt to taste
*Grind to paste
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup cilantro
3 green chilies
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafoedia
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 bay leaf
1 cup grated onion
1 cup grated tomato
1. Soak garbanzo beans/kabooli chane adding all the whole spices, overnight.
2. Pressure cook the beans along with spices and 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
3. Discard spices. Heat oil in a kadhai - preferably an iron one.
4. Add bay leaves and other spices.
5. Add green paste. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add grated onion. Saute for at least 5 -10 minutes.
7. Add grated tomatoes. Saute this mixture for at least 15 minutes, till the raw smell disappears and tomatoes appear to be cooked. Add garam masala, chili powder and coriander-cumin powder.
8. Add chopped fenugreek leaves. Saute till they are wilted.
2. After cooking, methi wilts and reduces in quantity. If you want a very strong flavor of methi, use more.