These days Mag na pooda is my favorite "go-to" recipe when I run out of ideas. Yellow moong daal has to be soaked only for 3-4 hours. If you want to expedite the process, use hot water for soaking. I have already blogged about Methi-Mag na pooda and Mag na pooda(1) using peas/green tuver/green chana. Today's variation is simpler as no exotic ingredients like methi/green tuver are needed.
Mag Na Pooda(2) - 12 count
1 cup yellow moong daal, soaked for 3-4 hours
A pinch of Asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced cilantro
2-3 green chilies, minced
Oil for frying
1. Soak yellow moong daal in adequate water for 3-4 hours.
2. Drain and grind with asafoetida and turmeric powder with salt.
3. Stir in onion, cilantro, chilies. Add water as needed to make dosa like batter.
5. Pour a ladleful of batter in a circular motion to make a thick or thin "pooda" or dosa/pancake.
6. Drizzle oil as needed. Cover and let it cook.
7. Flip and cook on the other side as brown spots appear on both the sides.
1. The above recipe gives me about 12 poodas. Depending on the thickness and circumference of the pooda, this count may change.
2. Depending on the personal preference, make these poodas thin and crispy or thick and soft.