Kothimbeer Vadi - 1 (Without Onion & Garlic)
Savory Cilantro Squares
1 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup besan/chickpea flour
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ginger-green chili paste
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/4 tsp. asafetida
1/2 tbsp. coriander-cumin powder
2 tbsp. coarsely ground peanuts or cashew powder
salt to taste
1 tbsp. tamarind pulp
2 tbsp. grated jaggery
1 cup water
Oil for greasing and shallow frying
1. Mix chopped cilantro with besan, nuts powder and spices.
2. Mix tamarind and grated jaggery in water. Make sure that jaggery has dissolved in water completely.
3. Add water to the cilantro mixture.
5. Grease a cooker container. Add the mixture and spread uniformly.
7. Let it come to room temperature.
9. Shallow fry in a hot pan, using oil as needed.
10. Serve as a snack or an accompaniment with a traditional Maharashtrian meal.
1. If you like your food very spice, add minced green chilies in the batter.