Paneer Pakoda is a special rainy day treat. I like to add few spices which I not necessarily add into my pakoda batter. But I feel that these spices enhance the taste of this deep fried delicacy.
Indian Cottage Cheese Fritters
1 cup paneer cubes
1/2 cup besan/chickpea flour
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp mild chili powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
A pinch of garam masala
A pinch of amchoor powder
A pinch of ajwain/owa/ajmo
A pinch of coriander-cumin powder
A generous pinch of chaat masala
Oil for frying
1. Cut paneer cubes and set them aside in fridge.
2. Whisk besan with remaining ingredients. Add water carefully to make a thick batter.
3. Heat oil in a wok/kadhai.
4. When oil is hot, dip each paneer cube into the batter. Slowly slide it in the oil. Deep fry till it's golden brown on both the sides.
5. Drain and place on an absorbent kitchen towel.
6. Sprinkle chaat masala and serve with mint chutney and tomato ketchup.
1. Do not overcrowd the fritters in the hot oil. If needed, fry in batches.
2. Insert tooth picks on these fritters and serve as an appetizers with chutney/ketchup.