Pairing vegetables with daal boosts the nutritional content of the daily meal. I have already blogged daal-karela combo Maharashtrian and Gujarati ways. So today, I am sharing my friend, Shobha's Punjabi Daal - Karela combo.
Surprisingly, Shobha's kids are very fond of bitter gourds. They chomp on this formidable vegetable imagining it as alligators. As a result, Shobha has many bitter gourd recipes - one even pairing this vegetable with meat.
Daal with Bitter gourd
3/4 cup toor daal, pressure cooked, mashed
1 medium bitter gourd, scraped, deseeded, cut into semi circles
1 tsp. coriander cumin powder
1/2 tsp. paprika or mild chili powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp. amchoor powder/raw mango powder
A generous pinch of Punjabi Garam Masala
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/4 tsp. asafetida
2 tbsp.. minced onion
1/2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
1 small tomato
1. Pressure cook toor daal adding adequate amount of water. Mash and set it aside.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the spices. As they sizzle, add onion. Sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes. Keep on sautéing till it's mushy.
4. Add bitter gourd pieces. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and let it cook till bitter gourd is soft.
5. Now add mashed, cooked daal, coriander-cumin powder, paprika, salt and amchoor powder. Add 3/4 cup water.
6. Bring to boil. Switch the gas to low. Sprinkle garam masala.
7. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
1. This daal needs to be on the thicker side.