I bought some small, long baby eggplants from our local farmers market. I decided to toss them with potatoes and bell peppers, sprinkling some Punjabi spices to make my version of Aloo Baingan.
Baby Eggplants with Potatoes
9-10 baby eggplants (long, violet variety), Sliced, stems removed
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled & sliced
1 firm tomato, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cored and sliced
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp. Punjabi Garam Masala
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. asafetida
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. Kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp. coriander-cumin seed powder
1 tbsp. Ginger-garlic paste
2 tbsp. minced cilantro
1. Sliced eggplants and potatoes and soak them in water till ready to use.
2. Heat oil in a nonstick kadhai.
3. Add spices. As they sizzle, add ginger-garlic paste and spice powders. Sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add potatoes. Sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Add bell peppers, tomatoes and eggplants.
6. Keep on stirring without closing it with the lid.
7. When cooked, add salt and Garam masala to taste.
8. Garnish with cilantro.
1. Drain eggplants and potatoes before adding to the kadhai.
2. I add spice powders in tempering, as they get nicely absorbed by the eggplants. But make sure not to burn them in the tempering.