This recipe is based on my mom's vegetable soup. She always keeps one vegetable whole in the soup of other mashed vegetables. It adds texture as well as color contrast. Here, I used green spinach puree with whole yellow corn.
Spinach and Yellow Corn Soup
1 lb frozen spinach
1 1/2 cup frozen yellow corn
1 medium potato, boiled, peeled, roughly chopped
salt to taste
A generous pinch of Garam masala
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 bay leaf
4-5 garlic cloves, peeled & roughly chopped
1 small onion, peeled & roughly chopped
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
2. Add bay leaf. Sauté for 15 seconds.
3. Add garlic and onion. Sauté till it's golden.
4. Add frozen spinach. Continue stirring till all the icicles are thawed. Add 1/2 cup water.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Let it come to the room temperature. Grind in a mixer/blender, adding potato and removing bay leaf.
7. Pour the ground paste back in the saucepan. Add water to get the desired consistency.
8. Add salt and pinch of Garam masala.
9. Switch on the heat. Let it come to boil.
10. Add frozen yellow corn.
11. Simmer till corn is soft.
12. Serve hot soup garnished with freshly ground black pepper.
1. I do not thaw the frozen vegetables.
2. Needless to say, but this soup can also be made with fresh spinach & corn. If using fresh, pressure cook the vegetables.