I recently came to know from my aunt that these appes are made especially on the Varadlakshmi vrat day on a specific Shravan Friday. So I decided to make them.
Mixed Daal Appe - Count 40
1 1/2 cup urad daal
1/2 cup chana daal
salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2-3 green chilies, minced (optional)
1/2" ginger, peeled & grated or minced
3 sprigs curry leaves, torn
Oil for frying
1. Soak both daals after rinsing for 6 hours.
2. Drain and grind to a paste using minimal water.
3. Add salt and cover. Set aside for 6 hours.
4. Stir in all the remaining ingredients except oil
5. Heat appe paatra/kayili. Add oil as needed.
6. Pour a spoonful of batter in all the cavities of the pan. Cover.
7. Cook on a medium low flame for about 5 minutes. Drizzle oil as needed.
8. Flip and cook again without covering with the lid.
9. Serve with chutney of your choice.
1. Fry/roast appe patiently. If high flame is used for cooking, the outer layer will be burnt and the batter will still be raw inside. Use low/medium flame for cooking.