Dhirde is a Maharashtrian dosa. I use "Upvasachi bhaajNi" to make upasache dhirDe. In Maharashtra, fasting and feasting go hand in hand. There are many occasions when people observe fasts like Ashadhi Ekadashi, Kartiki Ekadashi, Sankashti, Angarki Chaturthi, Vinayaki Chaturthi, and many days in Shravan. Frankly, I am not very familiar about all the fasts, but being a foodie, I do know my feasts!;-)
Pancake for fasting!
1 cup upvas bhaajNi
1/4 cup daaNyache kooT/Roasted, unsalted peanuts powder, coarsely ground
2-3 green chilies
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2" ginger, peeled & grated or pounded
salt to taste
1 1/2 cup water
1 tbsp. finely minced coriander leaves/cilantro (optional)
Ghee for frying
1. Mix all the ingredients except ghee. Add enough water to get a thick batter consistency.Make sure that there are no lumps.
2. Heat a pan or griddle.
3. Spread a ladleful of batter.
5. Cook on both sides till crisp.
1. For spicier flavor, grind ginger, cumin seeds and chilies before adding to the batter.
2. Traditionally, ghee or toop is preferred for cooking "fasting" dishes. You may use oil if you prefer.
3. Some people do not prefer cilantro in their "fast food"!!;-)