Thursday, July 17, 2014
I love to eat this usal as a salad because it tends to be very dry if eaten with chapati. Sprinkle some sev, onion and a generous squeeze of lemon for a lovely chaat salad.
Brown Lentils Salad
2 cups masoor sprouts
salt to taste
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced onion
1 tbsp. freshly scraped coconut
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
2. Add spices. As they splutter, add garlic and onion.
3. Sauté till they are soft.
4. Add masoor sprouts, chili powder and coriander-cumin powder.
5. Sauté from time to time sprinkling few drops of water as needed for cooking.
6. Add salt and jiggery.
7. After the lentils are cooked, add coconut and cilantro.
8. Serve as a part of the meal or as a salad - adding suggested accompaniments.
1. Use following link to make sprouts at home.
2. Do not pressure cook masoor for making this usal as they get overcooked.
3. Just sprinkle few drops of water as needed, taking care that they don't stick to the bottom of the pan. Adding too much water may turn the usal into a mush. Each sprout should be separate and still be cooked.