Thursday, June 12, 2014
The original recipe of upkari does not include moog daal. But I added it - borrowing from my Maharashtrian roots - for some protein boost.
Kohlrabi Stir Fry
3 small /medium kohlrabi, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup yellow moong daal, soaked for 2 hours in water before cooking
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
3 red chilies, halved/broken
Freshly scraped coconut
1. Heat oil in a kadai. Add tempering ingredients. As they splutter, add drained moong daal.
2. Saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add kohlrabi pieces. Stir.
4. Cover with a lid. Place some water in the lid.
5. Check from time to time. Each grain of daal should be separate. So do not let it overcook.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Garnish with fresh coconut
1. Do not add water while cooking otherwise, it will overcook the daal.