I explained the process of making white butter yesterday and how mom turned it into clarified butter.
But in the United States, I make clarified butter differently. I just simmer sweet cream butter (no added salt please! ) and let it turn into ghee/toop.
Sometimes, for flavor & if in season, I add a turmeric leaf.
Homemade Toop/Clarified Butter/Ghee
A stick of sweet cream butter (one or more sticks per need)
1. Add the stick of butter/(or sticks) to a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Let it heat on a low flame.
3. Simmer till the butter is clarified that means you see milk solids at the bottom of the pan. We call this milk solids as beri/बेरी in Marathi.
1. Do not use salted butter sticks.
2. You may add a fresh turmeric leaf - tied in a knot, while butter is heating up. This may be an acquired taste.