I tasted this delicious Mackerels Curry at Jai Hind, Mumbai. I came to know that this was Tulu style fish curry. As I was devouring this hot and sour curry with rice, I thought of the ingredients that may have comprised this deliciousness.
This is my interpretation.
Bangde Puli Munchi
Hot & Sour Mackerels Curry - Tulu Style
3 mackerels, halved, gashes, cleaned
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Soak in warm water
1 small ball of tamarind, seeds removed
12-15 byadgi chilies
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
7-8 fenugreek seeds
Grind above roasted spices with
1 shallot, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
1/2"ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tsp paprika for color
1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
3 sprigs of curry leaves,
1. Clean and halve mackerels. Cut gashes so the masala can penetrate. Marinate with salt and turmeric powder. Set aside.
2. Roast byadgi chilies, coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds.
3. Grind roasted spices with shallot, ginger, garlic and paprika.
4. Add tamarind pulp while grinding to make a fine but thick paste.
5. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add curry leaves.
6. As they splutter, add ground masala paste.
7. Saute for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup water.
1. Adjust byadgi chilies based on the desired heat. But this curry has to be hot and sour. After all, Puli = Tamarind, Munchi = Chilies!
2. Adjust consistency adding water as needed. But this curry should not have too thin consistency.
3. Readymade tamarind paste can be added.
4. You can use any other oil of your choice.
10, Hill Rd, Bandra West, Mumbai,
Maharashtra 400050, India