After making Yakitori Chicken successfully, I moved on to make its vegan/vegetarian counterpart. Use extra firm tofu and wrap it in wads of paper towel to drain the excess moisture.
Tofu Skewers Japanese Style
About 1/2 block of extra firm Tofu, drained and cut into 24 pieces
24 Spring onion pieces (Do not use green leaves)
1/4 cup Teriyaki sauce
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp chili garlic paste (optional)
1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
1 tbsp. finely grated ginger
2 tsp white sesame seeds
0. Place half of Tofu slab on paper towels lined up with colander. Keep the colander on another pot to drain off excess moisture. Place few more paper towels on top. Place a weight on top. Keep aside for 4-5 hours.
1. Whisk the marinade. Cut drained tofu slab into about 24 bite sized pieces. Add tofu pieces to the marinade. Cover and set aside in the fridge for about 6 hours.
2. Thread small skewers alternating with marinated tofu cubes and spring onion pieces. Shake off excess marinade before threading the tofu pieces
3. Heat cast iron grill. Spray some oil using cooking spray. Let it be really hot before keeping the skewers.
4. Place skewers carefully. Cook for about 3 minutes per side till grill marks appear on the tofu. Keep turning from all over so it's uniformly cooked. Baste with marinade if needed.
5. Take off the grill. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
1. I use a cast iron grill pan on the usual gas stove.