I am trying to learn good stir-fry technique. I love all the Chinese vegetarian stir fries. I don't care much for the chicken on non-vegetarian Chinese food. I love how they use fresh vegetables and keep them crisp and yet delicious. I have been following many Chinese cook books from various Chinese authors to learn this technique.
So I have been making many stir fries and fried rice of late. I have used lots of Chinese vegetables like Bok Choy.
Tofu Fried Rice
1 cup rice, cook and set aside to cool down, preferably day old from fridge will work the best
1 Grilled Tofu slab
3-4 baby bok choy, rinse thoroughly, and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
2 green bell pepper, cored and sliced
1 broccoli crown, sliced
1 tbsp. peanut oil
1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
Whisk for making the sauce
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp chili-garlic sauce
1/2 cup water
2 drops toasted sesame oil
1. Follow the method as described here, to get the grilled tofu slab. Cut into cubes and set aside.
2. Heat a wok. Add peanut oil and swirl quickly to coat the wok.
3. Add ginger - garlic paste. And sauté for 15 seconds.
4. Add carots and broccoli. Saute for 2 minutes
5. Add bell peppers and bok choy. Saute for 2 more minutes.
6. When the vegetables appear to be just about cooked (not mushy or overcooked), stir in cooked, cold rice.
8. Adjust for salt if needed. Sprinkle some freshly ground pepper.
9. Garnish with spring onion slices.
1. Rinse bok choy really well. It generally has lots of dirt/soil at the bottom.
2. Use any combination of vegetables of your choice including Napa/Savoy Cabbage, snap peas, mushrooms, baby corn, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts etc.