This is a simple green peas curry made Gujarati style. Use fresh green peas when in season, but frozen green peas work just fine too. For those who are curious, leela means green in Gujarati and is not a name of a person!!;-)
Leela Vatana nu Shaak
Gujarati Green Peas Curry
1 lb petite green peas, fresh or frozen
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar (optional)
2 tsp coriander-Cumin Powder/Dhana-Jiru
1 tsp Gujarati Garam Masala
1 tomato, chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
Grind to a smooth paste*
1/2 cup cilantro
3-4 green chilies
2" ginger, peeled and chopped
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp. minced cilantro
2 tbsp. freshly scraped coconut
1. Heat oil in a kadai.
2. Add tempering ingredients. As they sizzle, add green paste Saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add potato. Mix well. Let it cook till potato is semi-cooked
4. Add green peas and tomatoes with 1/2 cup water. Let it cook.
5. Add powders, salt and sugar if using.
6. Simmer till it is dryish.
7. Cover and keep aside for at least 10 minutes before serving.
8. Garnish with cilantro, coconut, lemon wedges and sev.
9. Serve with rotla, thepla or fulka.
1. You can add more water and have wet consistency.